The Burnett Family

I just finished working on the One Month to Live series at work. There were five sermons in this series: 1. Live Passionately 2. Love Completely 3. Laugh Regularly 4. Lead Intentionally 5. Leave Boldly.


For each of these sermons, we featured a person from the church in the bulletin, and showed their testimony video before the sermon. All five have left a mark on my life. However, the Leave Boldly story has left the biggest impact. 


Mary Burnett died on July 9, 2008. She left behind her husband, Doug, and her twin 17-year-old daughters. I never met Mary. But her legacy she left with Doug and their daughters has influenced me greatly. Mary spoke of Jesus and God's love every day of her life. Through her journey with cancer she was learning to love Him more and more and more. Her daughters now have the desire to share Christ with others because of their mother's example. Her husband wants to give God the glory and has faith that he will see Mary again. 

My heart has been changed because of the Burnetts' story. I pray that when my life is over, people will be able to say that I left this world boldly telling the story of Christ. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the whole "Christians die better than anyone" sermon online. That's a powerful message! Thank you for sharing.

I had some similar thoughts when I watched my great uncle die, and particularly when I watched how much faith my aunt displayed throughout the process and during his last moments. I can only hope I will have such faith and courage when my time comes.

Lara said...

It's true. They do. I've seen it. I've felt it. Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like one wonderful church family you have now.