Fireproof Comes in 4th












I went to see "Fireproof" with some friends this weekend. I know, I know. I'm not married, which is what the movie is all about, and I'm not a fireman. So why did I go see it? Well... two reasons: 1. I had a huge crush on Kirk Cameron when he was on "Growing Pains." 2. I really think that Hollywood needs to understand that America is thirsting for God-centered movies. I hope the big guys got the picture — "Fireproof" came in 4th at the Box Office this weekend, bringing in a little more than $6 million. 

I went to a theater here in Louisville with two other single girls. The theater was packed. The audience was engaged throughout the whole story. I watched the reactions of people as certain things would happen in the movie. What I saw was awesome. I saw couples crying together; I saw couples holding hands; I even heard a couple men say "Amen" and "That's Right". 

With "The Passion," "Facing the Giants," and now "Fireproof," I hope there will be a steady stream of movies to come that aren't afraid to talk about God in a positive way and that will relate with the mainstream audience. 

The acting at times was cheesy, but I loved it! 

2 comments:

ridge765 said...

OK, cheesy maybe. But my husband and I saw Fireproof together, and we were struck by the movie's celebration of covenant marriage and unconditional love. So many movies today just insult marriage, promote affairs or portray marriage as joyless and worthless. Fireproof boldly proclaimed marriage as well-worth the sacrifice, yet didn't back down from the fact that it's at times difficult, even agonizing. Not only that, the film-makers didn't just make a movie about marriage, they developed peripheral tools to make marriages stronger. We have a copy of the Love Dare book used in the film, as well as a "Couple's Kit" which is a bible-study based on the film that couples can do at home or with a group. These have made a real difference in our ability to address and improve these areas in our own marriage, and they are probably the most important things we have done for our marriage this year. I found them online at www.fireproofoutreach.com.

My advice: take your spouse, your fiancée, or someone who might be married someday and go see this film.

Barefeet Photography said...

Scot and I went to see it last night! I loved it...it was just so powerful. Yes, the acting was a little cheesy, but I was so touched by the message. I was also touched by the fact that Scot held my hand through the whole movie. Scot and I are so sick of the filth that has been coming out these days. It was refreshing to see.