Searching for Wisdom

Recently I have been thinking about this word wisdom a lot. I have thought about all the times I thought I knew it all. Because of that I disrespected a lot of people who know a lot more than I do.

I came across this passage in Proverbs tonight:
"My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom,
and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding."
Proverbs 2:1-6

I desire to seek wisdom in all I do throughout this life. That is why I hope and pray that in the moments I need wisdom the most, I will seek out advice from godly men and women who are older than I. It saddens me to think about the advice and guidance I have missed out on because of my pride. God has put older people in my life for a reason. If God wants to use older people in my life to point me to Him, I want to make sure I listen to them from now on.

Finding wisdom is not easy. It is a constant search. Sometimes I have thought that I had found it. Really it was my pride disguised as wisdom. It was all about me, and what I thought. That was definitely not wisdom. True wisdom belongs to God. I want to be humbled. I want to be able to say that anything good that comes out of my mouth is God, not me.

So as long as I live I will search for it. My purpose in life is to live for Him. By living for Him, I commit to Him that I will constantly seek Him and His hand in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't we all point back to a time when we thought we had wisdom, but were clueless in reality?

How true it is that we should be tapping into the resource that is our older Christians. Now that I'm getting a little older myself, I'm beginning to see some of my previous folly. I always assumed older people just wanted to be respected and honored for their own wisdom; I thought they believed they had it figured out, and I rejected that notion. Now I see that the truly wise ones just want us to avoid the mistakes they made themselves, or saw their friends make. Their wisdom came from trial and error. :)

Thanks for sharing your struggles and using them as an encouragement for us to seek wisdom as well.

Amy said...

love the new look...as well as the thoughts on how humility and wisdom come together:)