What I love and what I miss

Wow! I just realized today that I've been in Louisville for almost four months! Time has flown by. I also realized that I really haven't updated everyone on life. So I want to give everyone a rundown of life in the Ville. 


I am falling in love with my job and my new city. But at the same time there are many things I miss about Harding, Searcy and Arkansas.

What I love about my new city....

1. Southeast Christian Church...  Every week I get to worship with more than 16,000 people. I have grown so much these four months. I start working with the junior high girls this week on Wednesday nights. I'm excited about that. I also go to the Post every Tuesday night, which is the worship service for college and 20-somethings. Awesome. Sunday mornings I go to what a lot of us call "big church," and I attend a class called Connection Point. First Sunday I went to the class I recognized a girl in the class. Turns out it was Michelle, my student life editor for the 2003 Harding yearbook. She and her husband are members at SECC. 

2. My job... I get to wake up in the morning and design for Christ. It's awesome. I also love my team so much. I'm learning every day from some fantastic designers. I'm growing in style and technique.  My first "big" project was the artwork for the sermon series we have been on for the past month, One Month to Live. I have designed the bulletins for the past month, stage graphics, Atrium graphics, and a couple standalone pieces. The concept was a very personal approach. For each of the five sermons – Live Passionately, Love Completely, Laugh Regularly, Lead Intentionally and Leave Boldly – we featured a church member who personifies each of those messages. Wow. I cannot begin to explain how amazing each of these stories is. Next blog I'll share some more about each of these people. They have all made an everlasting difference in my life.

3. My friends... God has blessed me beyond imagine in this area. I have a great group of single girlfriends at Southeast: Amberly, Amy, Julie, Katie, Lindsay, Stacey, and others. And I have a very cool unexpected group of friends at my apartment complex... Crazy story how I met all of them, but it all started in a laundry room: Daniel, Brittany, Libby, Brock, Adam, Jamie, Courtney, Emily, Amy, and others. We all have a Bible study and eat dinner together Thursday nights. We're studying the book of Mark right now. The guys in this group are very strong leaders! I am learning so much from them. Such a blessing!

4. The city... The airport is 10 minutes from my apartment. Target is 5 minutes away. Two great malls are 5 minutes away. Downtown is 15 minutes away. But yet I live across the street from what I'm pretty sure is a cow pasture. 

5. I'm close to home... I have been home to see my family three times since I moved: Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day. It's about a 6-hour drive, which isn't bad at all compared to the 14-hour drive I had before. My parents are coming next weekend to be here for the last sermon of the series I have done the artwork for. Lisa and Trav are coming in a couple weeks. Have I told you all Lisa is pregnant? She is due in January! I can't believe my little sister is having a baby.

What I miss about my old city... 

1. Downtown Church... While worshipping with 16,000 people is pretty cool, I miss the intimacy of Downtown Church. I don't know if there is another church on this earth that is as intimate and personal as Downtown. I miss the junior high girls at Downtown. If you girls are reading this, I love you guys! 

2. Harding University... I'm pretty certain that Harding University is in my blood. If I have anything to say about it, my kids will go there. Harding will always be my second home. It is a huge part of who I am today. God uses Harding! I miss it so much, but I have a brand new appreciation for it now that I'm away. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss chapel. I miss the cafeteria. I miss walking around the front lawn every day. I miss walking through the student center and seeing students and co-workers who love God more than life. I kind of miss that weird smell that floods campus this time of year. (Crazy, huh? It's just a smell of home, I guess.) I miss my co-workers in the Admissions office. I miss the celebrations John and Nathan would have for me. I miss sitting in John's office and fighting with him for no reason. Love you John! I miss talking about guys with Stacey. I miss watching Paula steal food and then hide it. I love this new chapter, but I miss the old!

3. My friends... Meredith, Lindsey, Amanda, Matthew, Laura, John, Corey, Stacey, etc., etc., etc. You all will always be my family! I especially miss living with Meredith. There will never be a roommate like her again. I'm so thankful that I've been able to see her three times since I moved. To all of you on that list and those not on that list: You all are my family. Don't ever doubt how much I miss you and love you!

4. My small group at Downtown... Ya'll have something special. Don't lose it. I'm still trying to find it here. I think I'm close. God does so much in that small group that evolves all the time. I'm so thankful that I was a part of that group.

To wrap it all up...

I love my new life, and I miss my old. There is no doubt in my mind that this is where I'm supposed to be right now. I'm so thankful for this phase. (I will post pictures soon. Promise!)






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss you, too!

Anonymous said...

Well-written and very good thoughts. I'm glad you've found such a welcoming new home and that God is blessing you in all these ways!